Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Danger of a Single Story

Partly cloudy, 81 degrees (fahrenheit)

“The single story creates stereotypes, and the problem with stereotypes is not that they are untrue, but that they are incomplete. They make one story become the only story.”
- Chimamanda Adichie

Ted Talks - The Danger of a Single Story

Before I get started with all my storytelling, I wanted to share something I think is valuable for any reader of my blog to watch. In the (18 minute) Ted Talk linked above, Chimamanda Adichie, a Nigerian author, discusses the danger of a single story - how one story can easily turn in to how you view Abuja, Nigeria, or all of Africa.

While I am excited to share my stories, I hope they do not paint a single story for you.  I encourage you to learn more - read other blogs (links provided to the left) and do your own research.  There is so much to this great continent that I could never provide a complete picture - but only one skewed from my lens.

1 comment:

  1. I saw that TED video a few months ago and absolutely loved it!! It is a great thing to remind others and to be reminded of yourself.

    ReplyDelete