Sunday, September 16, 2012

Babies

Partly cloudy, 84 degrees, 90% humidity

If there is one thing I truly enjoy about our office, it's the two babies that spend their days with us.  These cuties, 4 and 5 months old respectively, can almost always bring a smile to my face and make for an excellent excuse to take a break from work at least a couple times a day - typically once mid-morning and then again mid-afternoon.  Because one of the babies is the daughter of my boss, the Executive Director, I find it more acceptable than the "western" equivalent - smoke or coffee break - AND much better for you.  In addition to providing the mental break I've found I often need, they add a bit of physical activity to my largely sedentary work day and typically cause me to work up a sweat.  While it doesn't take much to cause me to sweat, throwing around babies, especially Darren, can be a workout!
Although both mothers bring their house girls to take care of the babies while they work, Darren and Ase (pronounced Ah-shay)  tend to get passed around amongst the EVA employees and volunteers throughout the day.  This is something I realized likely lead to me feeling constantly sick and/or worn down the first couple months.  Turns out, babies are germ havens and even though they are young and their immune systems are still developing, as Nigerian babies, their immune systems are stronger than mine.  Nothing a good hand-washing (or hand sanitizing, if there's no running water) can't fix though.
Sadly, in the last week both babies have started going to creche (day care) so I am desperately in need of a new distraction.  What am I supposed to do now when I need that mental break during the day?  Without coffee within any reasonable distance (or for any reasonable price) and with smoking not an option, I need to get creative. 

Standard view from my desk
Although I don't openly admit this in the office, she is my favorite!
She typically wiggles too much to stay on my lap, but sometimes I can get work done while holding her
 
 
My favorite Darren look - "what up?"
 
 
For the moms who think they need  an expensive baby carrier, try this cheap, yet effective Nigerian model - a few yards of material wrapped around you and your baby
 

1 comment: