Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Birthday Wish

Partly Cloudy, 90 degrees, 53% humidity

I'm sure on the top of your minds as the end of October nears is the fact that my birthday is quickly approaching.......it's top of mind for me, as well.  I understand ;)   Some of you have actually started asking me what I want so I thought I'd make it easy.  Nothing.  At least no purchased items.  While I  appreciate a nice care package, it is a lot of work and very costly - making it an inefficient use of money. 

This year, IF you'd like to do something for my birthday (and I'm not implying that all of you do), I am asking that you donate to one of the organizations I am working with/for.   There are two very credible organizations that could use your support much more than I personally could benefit from a present or package.  Below I've outlined each of the organizations - what they do, my connection, who should give to them, and how to give.

1.       Education as a Vaccine (EVA): www.evanigeria.org
·         What they do: EVA is a Nigerian non-profit founded with a mission to improve the quality of life for vulnerable children and young people.  With nearly one third of Nigeria’s total population of 160 million between the ages of 10 and 24, the country’s development is compromised by the sexual and reproductive health issues afflicting its youth. Lack of sexual health information and services make young people vulnerable to sexually transmitted infections (STIs), unintended pregnancy, unsafe abortion, and other reproductive health issues. The majority of EVA's work focuses on improving the sexual and reproductive health of these young people.  EVA has won numerous awards for their work and is recognized as the strongest youth-led organization in the country.  I can personally vouch for the amazing work they do and the impact they have on the disadvantaged Nigerian youth population with the relatively limited financial resources they have.  For more information on EVA, visit their website, provided above.
·         My connection: As my partner organization, this is the non-profit I'm working directly with - where I spend the majority of my time (and energy).  As the Fundraising Advisor, I am responsible for helping them reach their annual fundraising goal by implementing processes and tools to ultimately reach a larger base of individual and corporate donors.
·         Who should give: Those looking for a recurring, long(er)-term donation opportunity.  Although I am responsible for EVA's fundraising and would love for you to give to this worthy organization, I ask that you only give if you are willing to make a commitment to contributing regularly - once a year (for example) for at least the next few years.  The reason I ask this is because I don't want to raise money for EVA in my time here that they will likely not receive once I'm gone.  I would like what I do and provide to be sustainable well after I leave.
·         How to give: Submit tax-deductible donation online at: EVA PayPal
 
2.       Cuso International: www.cusointernational.org
·         What they do: Cuso is an international development organization that works through volunteers (like me!) to fight global poverty.  They recruit and support volunteers from North America in placements with non-profits in Africa, Asia, and Central/S. America. For more information on Cuso, visit their website, provided above.
·         My connection:  This is the organization Accenture partners with that has matched me with EVA, my partner organization. In addition to acting as the link between volunteers and partner organizations, Cuso also provides training and support to their volunteers while they are in placement.
·         Who should give: Those looking for a one-time donation opportunity
·         How to give: Submit tax-deductible donation on my fundraising page at: Cuso Fundraising Page (also linked in left sidebar)

If you have any questions or want additional information, feel free to email me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment